Hurricane season is fast approaching. Is flood insurance really necessary?
The short answer: yes. Here are the facts:
- Flood insurance is recommended since flood insurance is typically not covered by your homeowners policy.
- More than 40% of flood insurance claims come from outside of high risk areas.
- There’s a 30-day waiting period to get or reinstate flood coverage.
Most People hear “Flood” and they think of hurricanes. Here are some other flood-related events that result in claims:
• Melting snow
• Unusually heavy rain in a short period of time
• Levee or dam failure
• A community releasing water to relieve pressure on a dam
• Mudflow after a forest fire.
• A city water pipe bursting
• Rivers that overflow their banks
• New land development
Talk to your agent to learn more about what your home policy covers and see if including flood is right for you. 301-206-5464